• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Working out at the age of 17

Hoes call me santa

Bluelighter
Hello, I am 17 and a half years old :p

I've been wanting to work out for a bit now, and i am very motivated atm because i want to look good for the woman you know what I mean? ;p Since I don't have anyone in my life at the moment, I decided to put all the chances on my side of the court to be attractive, because that's really all it takes (taht's another subject haha).

I am just worrying about one thing. I am 17 and a half, i'm not sure if I have gone through puberty yet (I mean if im done with it, but i doubt, im 5 feet 6 or 7 inches and approx 125 lbs)

I'm wondering if I can still work out (at home, not on machines, with weights, etc) without affecting my body in a bad way? I've heard plenty of stories about working out stopping your growth and all those things.

I would like your opinion about this, even though you are not doctors. I am totally aware that I should see a doctor before doing this, but the health system here, even though it's free, sucks badly. Getting an appointment would take me to the end of the summer ... I want to work out in the summer primarly to be in shape for college!

Thank you!

Seriously, hit the gym HARD. You test levels are at their peek and you'll receive huge gains.
If anything you should have started about a year and half to two years ago.
If you can, get on machines or go a gym. Unless you have free weights at home you should be fine.

I've been lifting for 3 years and I just turned 17. Light workouts at first but for the past year really started going to the gym a lot. Eat enough food, get enough protein, and you should be fine.

You need to stuff your face everyday as much as possible, along with hitting the gym everyday, run sometimes. Whey Protein shakes, maybe creatine if your up to it.
You'll be a beast in no time.

Thanks everyone.

I will buy weights and dumbells tomorrow probably and I already plan on running 30 minutes a day 4-5 days a week :)

If your skinny I'd maybe lay off the running till you've built a bit of muscle. Think 1 day a week rather than 4 or 5.

i wouldnt do bodybuilding until the body is done growing.

having said that, everyone should exercise regularly, regardless of age.

take it from a man that knows how to treat a lady: dont rely on looks. treat a lady well. getting beef to get chicks is a sure fire way to go through life having experienced a whopping 13 girls or something. if you want to score well with the ladies, learn how to treat them well. with that, weightlifting is pointless.

build your body's integrity FOR YOURSELF. exercise so that you can be the strongest, most structured, most resisting, most intelligent, and most balanced person you can be in life. any other reasons makes you a slave. even if youre lifting to get jacked so chicks give you some attention - youre happiness is enslaved to their perception of you, and internally you are weak. youre just the same as some chick that starves herself so she can fail at trying to be just like the fake airbrushed people media forces into her head as an icon of beauty. its all fake. dont be a slave. use your body for yourself, not to appease others.

know thyself.

^ The distinction needs to be made between bodybuilding and exercising which incorporates weights.
If done properly, resistance training can boost human growth hormone which we all know helps the body to grow.